Membership in the Colts is an amazing experience for you and your entire family, and one that takes tremendous dedication, hard work and personal responsibility. Our audition process includes evaluation of your talent and experience, but we also consider your commitment, attitude, financial and personal responsibility, and attendance, as well as parental support and participation.
THERE IS NO OBLIGATION TO BECOME A MEMBER BY ATTENDING REHEARSAL OR BY RETURNING ANY MATERIALS. Find out what we are all about. Even if you don’t become a Colt, you will learn a great deal. You will participate in the ensemble and perform as a member of the Colts. In the process, we will assess your skills, answer your questions, and you will be more comfortable with our program and our family.
Following is a step-by-step guide to the information you need to become a member of the 2015 Colts!
1) Request Information. This is your intial entry to our student database and lets us know which section and/or instrument you're interested in. Our 2015 Membership Brochure is available HERE.
2) Sign up for our email list, and encourage your parents to do the same. All communication is done through our email distribution list. It's faster and far less expensive than traditional mail.
3) Fill out a 2015 Application in advance of your attendance. Submitting the application in advance will save you considerable time at check-in during the weekend audition camps.
4) Make plans to audition! RSVP as soon as you can to let us know that you will be attending. You can always update your request later if your plans change (at least three days in advance, please). We can help you find a ride or with other special arrangements through your comments on the RSVP form. We provide ground transportation from the Dubuque Regional Airport (DBQ) as well as Quad Cities International Airport (MLI). We can sometimes accommodate flights into surrounding airports (Madison, Rockford or Cedar Rapids) but you MUST notify the office prior to booking a flight into anywhere other than Dubuque or the Quad Cities. We expect all interested Colts to RSVP monthly in advance of each camp. This allows us to prepare for your attendance.
COLTS THREE-DAY AUDITION CAMPS
The three-day audition camps are for providing full auditions and evaluations of prospective members with the intent of finalizing membership in the Colts. You will receive detailed instruction on all aspects of your skills with the intent of offering you membership, or guidance on how to become a member of the Colts. After attending one of these camps you will receive a letter officially notifying you of your membership status in the corps. See “JOIN” below for further details.
Offers of full membership will only be extended to individuals who audition at one of the following three-day audition camps unless there are special circumstances that make attendance at one of these events impossible:
November 21-23, 2014 | Five Flags Center, Dubuque MAP
8:30 PM Friday through 3:00 PM Sunday (brass, percussion and color guard)
December 19-21, 2014 | Roosevelt Middle School, Dubuque MAP
7:30 PM Friday through 3:00 PM Sunday (brass, percussion and color guard)
Click here to register for the upcoming three-day camp.
COLTS ONE-DAY AUDITION EXPERIENCE CLINICS
Not sure if you're ready for a full three-day audition weekend? The one-day Audition Experience Clinics are an opportunity for prospective members and parents to learn about the Colts plans for the upcoming 2015 season, meet some of our staff, and gain a better understanding of the expectations of membership in the corps. Learn the exerciese and techniques that have kept the Colts one of the top competing drum corps for over 50 years.
There is no obligation to join the corps by attending this one-day event. However, offers of full membership will only be extended to individuals who audition at one of our three-day audition camps held in Dubuque, Iowa (unless there are special circumstances that make attendance at one of the Dubuque auditions impossible). The staff will be offering participants one-on-one evaluations at this event, so you'll how you stack up against other auditioning students prior to making any further commitments. This clinic will help you prepare for when you do decide to take the leap into drum corps.
November 29, 2014 | North Hardin H.S., Radcliff, Kentucky MAP
9:00 AM through 6:00 PM Saturday (for brass and color guard)
December 13, 2014 | St. James Academy, Lenexa, Kansas MAP
9:00 AM through 5:00 PM Saturday (for brass only)
CLICK HERE for further details and to register for the one-day clinic events.
5) Prepare for your audition. The 2015 Colts Brass Book is available HERE. Percussionists should download the exercises best suited to their interest. 2015 Percussion Exercises are available HERE. Color Guard Information is available HERE. All students are evaluated individually and with the ensemble. Please check back regularly to see if there are any new or updated exercises for your section!
6) Attend rehearsal! Always check the home page at www.colts.org within a few hours of leaving for camp. Any updates or changes will always be posted here first. Specific monthly rehearsal information is released a week or so prior to each rehearsal. Camps are held monthly at a middle school in Dubuque, or at the Five Flags Civic Center in downtown Dubuque. Click here for detailed directions.
7) Become familiar with our calendar. Our preseason schedule is limited, so attendance is important. Attending part of the camp is better than not at all. If you have conflicts, talk to us, we will work with you! COMMUNICATION IS CRITICAL.
The cost for your first rehearsal is $175 (or $125 for returning members) which includes all audition and application fees. Pay the fees for your first camp in advance and SAVE $25. PAY ONLINE HERE Deadline for advance payment discount for the November camp is Tues., Nov. 25 at 11:00 p.m. Each subsequent weekend you attend is $60. This fee covers the cost of these rehearsals and does not apply toward your summer tuition.
Following your first rehearsal, you will receive a letter from us that will be:
1) An offer of full membership for the upcoming contest season.
2) A recall for a second and final audition because we need to see you make improvements in specific areas of your performance or conditioning.
3) An offer to continue to come to camps so that you can improve continue to improve your skills in the event that a spot opens up during the winter or spring. If no spot opens up, you are encouraged to take what you learn so that you can audition again next year.
Try at least one weekend before deciding anything about the Colts. A life-changing summer of travel, achievement and success awaits you. Being here will make that happen. You'll never know if you don’t try!